This week our vegetable spotlight is on carrots. Today we’re making carrot cake! (with cream cheese frosting, of course!) This Carrot Cake Muffins Recipe is also gluten-free! And if you missed our spotlight post you can check it out here: Vegetable Spotlight – Carrots.
Carrot Cake Ingredients:
- 1.25 cups coconut flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- Pinch ground clove
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup finely shredded carrots (2 med. Carrots)
- 1 cup natural applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup raisins
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients:
- 8 ounces cream cheese – softened
- 5 Tablespoons butter – unsalted – softened
- 1 Tablespoon sour cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes (sprinkled on top)
Carrot Cake Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line 12 standard muffin cups with paper cupcake liners.
2. Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.3. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, oil, and eggs. After they’re mixed add the shredded carrots, applesauce and vanilla.4. Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Stir in 1/4 cup of the raisins to the batter.5. Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 30 minutes. 6. Let cool completely before adding icing or storing in the refrigerator.
Cream Cheese Frosting Directions:
1. Place cream cheese, butter, sour cream and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Whisk until well combined and creamy.
2. Add powdered sugar slowly and fold into mixture until smooth.
3. Add frosting to cupcakes and then sprinkle coconut flakes on top.
4. Serve and enjoy this gluten-free Carrot Cake Muffins Recipe 🙂